Oakland Temple - Where It All Began

Saturday, October 25, 2008

General Conference - October 2008


I loved General Conference. Saturday was a busy day for us and I only watched about 45 minutes of the broadcast in its regular time slot. I also attended Priesthood Meeting on Saturday night. Sunday however was a different story. I started watching the different sessions starting at about 8:00 a.m. and finished about 9:30 p.m. with various breaks for meals, etc. It was a great experience. I know at this stage of life I have flexibility that I didn't have when our children were at home and they were younger. But it was really a focused time being able to see all of it in a condensed time. Kind of like the few times I have read the Book of Mormon in a month or two. I just brings the details into sharper focus and eliminates the memory lapse that comes from an extended period of time.
I have put together the collage above of those who delivered what, for me, were the most profound talks. I don't think I will ever forget some of the words and thoughts expressed in their talks. I think there was an overall theme of hope and peace even in troubled times. It is difficult at a young age to have the patience to see beyond the trials that lie ahead, but having gone through several rough spots in life, I have the advantage of knowing that "this too will come to pass". Meaningful was Elder Uchtdorf's Saturday morning talk about Hope; Saturday Afternoon provided insight by Elder Wirthlin and his stories of dealing with humor in difficulties; Elder Holland and his testimony of how angels are among us; and my favorite of the entire conference was Elder Corbridge's talk about the Savior.......The Way!!! The priesthood session was powerful and I thought especially oriented to the Melchizedek Priesthood.....Elder Scott and each of the talks given by the members of the First Presidency were impactful. Of the talks delivered on Sunday, those by Elder Eyring and President Monson received my greatest attention.
All-in-all, I looked forward to listening to our leaders; I wasn't disappointed. Again, the most unique and most powerful for me was Elder Lawrence E. Corbridge's talk about the Savior and that we must follow him. I thought of my own life and I also thought of Brad and Adam and Jason and Taryn and my father and sister......family that I love and whose lives could be richly blessed if they were to take to heart the message that Elder Corbridge delivered. I am so grateful to be a member of Christ's church. It has enriched my life beyond measure!!

No comments: