Oakland Temple - Where It All Began

Saturday, October 25, 2008

Chad Gets His White Coat.....Class of 2012


Chad Pershing Lyons is now officially in The Ohio State University College of Dentistry. Kate and I attended the "White Coat" Ceremony on Wednesday night the 24th os September. It was a great night and one that I know Chad and his family have been looking forward to for several years.


We arrived just in time for Chad to join his chair among his classmates. Kate and I sat several rows behind. Several speakers, including the Dean spoke about the achievements already accomplished by those in the 2012 class. Then each row was dismissed to the adjacent foyer where their white coas was placed upon them and they then re-entered the presentation room and walked across the front dais as their picture along with their previous college and place of origin was shown on a large screen at the front.


When this was all done, and the oath and pledge was administered, a nice buffet of hot hors d'oeuvres and punch were available for the students and guests. I was surprised by the number of females who are attending dental school. This class has a record number of female students; about 50% in total. There are also several husband/wife teams of student......now that's some whopping student loans. You know the other thing that struck me?? Normally we only make a big deal or celebrate someone's graduation from something. But, in this case a big deal was made about 104 individuals who were just starting something. I guess it is not unusual for the professional colleges to recognize the high level of achievement of those entering, given their effort and sacrifice that got them there.


Anyway, it was a nice evening with Chad and Kate. Shawn and I love them both.

No comments: