Oakland Temple - Where It All Began

Sunday, December 14, 2008

The Foot


Have you heard of “The Foot”? You know, the one on the left side of my body, that is somewhat deformed and goes at a 45ºangle to the left? The one they say I got from my ancestors and is likely something I have passed down to my children and/or grandchildren; yes, it sometimes skips a generation. Well I am having surgery on Tuesday to have it fixed. A friend of ours (Bonnie Goodson) was in church 2 weeks ago and walking with one foot in a tennis shoe. In talking to her about what happened, she told me she had bunion surgery by this Podiatrist, Dr. Dave Buchan, who has a new technique for fixing feet like mine with bunions. She swears by him and so I called his office the very next day to arrange an appointment to have him look at The Foot. He is not the first doctor with whom I have met. I have met with several different orthopedic surgeons over the past 10-15 years and each have told me that the day will come when I will need to do something, but that I would not be happy with the results; the procedure they offer is to cut, break and fuse, leaving little mobility.

Well, after meeting with Dr. Buchan (he does hundreds of these surgeries a year) I asked if there wasn't some way they could fit me in before the end of December. His surgical nurse called on Friday and said they made a spot for me and I am now scheduled for this Tuesday, December 16th. In talking to other patients, the results sound very promising. So, when I come home, I should have a proper working foot with a screw or two in it. Imagine, being able to walk without pain; being able to sleep when the barometric pressure changes; being able to walk instead of taking a cart when I play golf; being able to run again for aerobic exercise; being able to wear normal shoes that actually fit. And not having caluses on the side of my toes; and not having people laugh and point at my foot when I am barefooted. All these sound too good to be true.
We are really busy at work, so I have had to make a lot of changes in my schedule to fit this in, but I can’t pass up the opportunity to have it fixed. Getting it done this year will cause our insurance will pay 100% of the cost as opposed to delaying it until next year. So here goes. I will post new photos when everything heals.

They say, if I delay the surgery, my foot could look like this. What would you do????


6 comments:

[AnnieR] said...

Oh. My. Gosh. GROOOOOOSS. Get the surgery. Get it now. Run, do not walk. Otherwise, just go ahead and amputate now.

Beth said...

Really dad? The picture of your own foot was enough. I think I am now scarred by the second foot. EWWWWW! But really, I am so happy you were able to make it all work and get this taken care of.

Dehner Family said...

I have some mixed emotions. I am happy you won't be in pain anymore, but I really will miss "the foot". I have come to love and accept the foot.

Kasey said...

That is NASTY!
Good luck, have "the foot" fixed and may the forsce be with you!

Taryn said...

Diana says: PLEEEASE, I beg of you! No more photos! I prayed that when you come out of surgery both of your feet will look the same.......

Debbie said...

That is about the creepiest thing I have ever seen----thanks for sharing. Good luck----