Oakland Temple - Where It All Began

Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Steve vs. The Moles


This is Steve, the female yard warrior



This is a Mole - Pesky Little Varmin


This is Steve Pouncing - go Steve go !!


Moles are the epitome of a Midwest pest. They are creepy little things that love to burrow all through your yard searching for worms and grubs. They can ruin a nice yard in nothing flat. To get rid of them, you can try noise, sonar, chemicals, traps, etc., but annually, they only seem to leave once summer is upon us and the lack of moisture forces their food source to go deeper in the soil. Until then, we have our platoon of yard warriors, with Stevie, now being the lead. They sit quietly for long periods of time and gradually get closer to the opening to a burrow. Then they stand at the ready until they calculate their pounce will yield a positive result. They rarely, if ever, are successful. Actually, I think they have only ever captured and killed one, but they are forever trying.


Personally, I am thankful for our little platoon of yard warriors. They are watching out for us, and that is a noble trait. Thank you Stevie. Tell your kids thanks from the only one who cares.





3 comments:

Debbie said...

Did she come drop it on your doorstep? Our cat used to lay her half eaten mice on our doorstep. I think she wanted us to see her trophy. Funny things!

Diana and Brent said...

Kurt, you do know that cats can't read your blog, don't you? But thank you, thank you a thousand times thank you for finally blogging again. I was so over your feet.

MOMMACITA said...

I realize that some may be confused when I congratulate you on your newest grandchild on a post about cats and moles, and let me for the record say that no comparisons are intended. I wish for no confusion.

Congratulations on little Will! He is a darling. You have a wonderful family.